Monday, February 5, 2007

Why does Microsoft hate gamers?

I only created this blog an hour ago, and it's already time for my first rant. For any of you Halo fans out there looking forward to the Halo 3 beta, you know that the last way to get in for free is to register today. After that, anyone who wants in will have to buy the game Crackdown for sixty bucks. Microsoft has already told us this. They said play 3 hours of Halo 2, then sign up. Sounds simple enough right?

Well, in true Microsoft fashion they've pissed off plenty of people. They made sure they conveniently left out what time registration would start. So, there sit the loyal fans, eagerly clicking refresh on their browsers every few seconds starting at midnight EST. When will they be able to register? Only Microsoft knows. I'm sure plenty of people will wait up for hours, clicking away, trying to be one of the first 13,333 people to sign up. Plenty will miss work or school, or miss whatever else may happen outside of halo3.com because they are loyal enough to Bungie to do whatever it takes to play Halo 3 early.

Now I understand that Microsoft (and all other companies for that matter) need to do what's best for the company sometimes, even if it's not good for the customer, but I just don't see any business-related reason for this decision. How would thousands of angry fans constantly refreshing a website for hours possibly benefit anyone?

As for me? I'll be buying Crackdown. Thanks, MS.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Microsoft does not hate you. If they hated you, there would not be any chance for you to test their wares before the launched them. You obviously hate Microsoft, but that just makes you fashionable.

Pezcore said...

I don't hate Microsoft. I think Bill Gates is a great businessman and a generous philanthropist. I was just voicing mine, and many others' general frustration with the way this signup was handled.