Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Laptops Laptops are no fun

Today's post isn't going to be a discussion of anything that's of particular interest to anyone but me, but more of a rant. So...

Today after class I went to the University Center for a drink, and got a bottle of cactus juice. Oh so delicious, and oh so sticky. I get back to my room, put the drink town on the desk, and go to hook up my laptop's ethernet cable. All of a sudden, BOOM! The drink falls and I get agave cactus all over my laptop. So I turn it off, unplug it, take out the hard drive and battery and all, and start to worry that it won't work. After I while I turn it back on and it does work, but the touchpad isn't repsonsive. Great.

Now I decide to take it apart and clean out the sticky juice from the inside. So I take off the monitor, the keyboard, and finally, the touchpad apparatus. I clean out everything I can and let it dry while I go to class again. I get back and reassemble the pieces and boot it up and guess what. Now the touchpad responds, but its also going crazy. An improvement? Not really.

So I took it apart again and unplugged the touchpad since it can't be disabled (stupid DELL), and now I need to use the USB mouse for everything, my keys are gross and sticky, and I'm royally ticked.

The bright side? Today I learned how to disassemble and reassemble a laptop. =) Not bad for a beginner.

No comments: